With a little over 72 hours to go until the Berkeley Half Marathon this weekend, it is almost countdown time! These are some of my favorite tips to follow but more importantly, always follow the golden rule: do not try anything new on race day.
Thursday – 72 hours to go!
- Go for a run but don’t push it too hard by trying to cram in last minute runs.
- Check the forecast for Sunday, read through the race guide and start to finalize your race day plans.
Friday – 48 hours to go!
- Choose to take the extra rest if you need it or try for a short, easy effort run.
- Start adding in small amounts of extra carbs to your meals. For me personally, I also start adding more salt to my meals.
- Might want to check the forecast for Sunday again, especially if there is a chance for rain. I’m crossing my fingers that Sunday will be dry!
- Rest up for a good night’s sleep – the nights leading up to the race are crucial!
Saturday – 24 hours to go!
- Sometimes I prefer the extra rest day and sometimes I prefer a shakeout run the day before a race – up to you!
- Go for a higher-carb diet today but be careful not to overdo it. The last thing you want is to show up to the start line feeling sluggish and full.
- Pro tip: Choose foods that have worked in the past, remember nothing new!
- Avoid spending unnecessary time on your feet, meaning try to avoid spending too much time at the expo.
- Pack your bag and lay out your outfit, plus any additional items that you need on race day. This will help to cut down the stress and nerves that you might be feeling the next morning.
Sunday – RACE DAY!
- Eat something small unless you normally run without eating anything – it is not the time to try something new.
- Arrive early to find parking, chill out and even make a trip to the bathroom before the lines form.
- Warm up with some jogging and dynamic stretches.
- Have fun!!!
Also, make sure you check in next week for our Runner Holiday Guide!! (Discounts will be included!)